Thursday, December 10, 2009

Another drugstore favorite: Massini Slamming Red

I'm actually kinda shocked at just how many of my favorite polishes are drugstore polishes. Of all the well-marketed and hugely hyped higher-end polishes out there, I find it quite hilarious that I usually prefer the cheapo no-name 99 cent bin stuff.


This is Massini Slamming Red. This picture just doesn't capture how truly awesome this polish is. If you look at the bottle, you'll see a whole lot of holographic effect happening- that's what's happening on your nails when you wear this. I tried to blur this picture a little to show some of that amazing holo glitter, but I just haven't been able to capture it. The name of the polish is Slamming Red, but it's not really a true red... more of a deep magenta? Dark pink? And it's made of lots and lots of glitter in a lightly tinted base.

Now, the thing about this polish is that it's chunky as hell. The texture is thick and paste like when applying (though thinner does help) and it's super bumpy scratchy when it dries. However, the polish itself is just so incredibly amazing that I don't care about the formula or scratchiness at all. Even if it was twice as thick and lumpy I would still love it. Sure, it needs an extra coat or two of topcoat, but that is a small price to pay for awesomeness.

You may be familiar with Massini if you live in the midwest. It's Meijer's "house brand" of nail polish. You may also find a lot of the names and colors to be very familiar. Massini is a private label by Forsythe (aka Color Club!) so you'll see a lot of Color Club shades in Massini bottles. Which is great if you want to see Color Club's latest collections in person before you buy. They don't always have all the colors and they do have a lot of shades unique to Massini, like Slamming Red and Purple Medallion and those two wacky glitters from Fall that have no names.

Massini also has another glitter like this called Purple Medallion, which I've also never been able to capture on camera... But I'm going to keep trying!


So... yeah... I love this polish. A lot. And if it doesn't look amazing enough on its own, I Konad'ed over it once with black and it looked super cool. The bright colored holo peeking through the stark black lines... So beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...